A few weeks ago in a comment to a post, one faculty member wondered, what kinds of incentives motivate faculty to do good committee work?
Which of those incentives could we offer?
These are excellent questions, and who better to ask than the faculty.
What do you think?
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think one of the easiest things to do would be to have any committee assignments be of a very specific duration -- so many assignments seem to be open-ended in terms of time committed when they are announced or initiated, and that is a disincentive for people who are already very busy.
Don't most committees have limits? I thought they did.
The governance committees have limits. Ad hoc committee have limits in that the committees themselves exist only until their task is fulfilled. Other committees, though, often do not have limits. That does not mean that people have to be on them indefinitely, though.
As for the initial question regarding incentives for doing good committee work ... the need for such a question bothers me. Committee work is one of the responsibilities of the faculty. Personal integrity and work ethics alone should compell faculty to both serve on committees and do good work on them.
I believe the first comment was not really about incentives to participate in somehting that is, as you say, a responsibility, but rather spoke to the impression that the length of service on committees might be seen as a disincentive per se.
As a member of a standing committee, I find it amusing in some of the responses I hear when addressing the committee membership. Some WON'T commit because they "cannot include the committee meeting" in their "office hours." And additionally, they don't get reimbursed for travel to other campuses to participate. Next will be a requirement for stipends to the participants.
Post a Comment