Friday, May 2, 2008

Faculty Evaluation

Information gleaned from the last two surveys indicates some kind of peer review is likely to appear on the new faculty evaluations. At this point the average amount people recommend is about 10% of the individual's overall evaluation.

What do you think? What kind of peer review would you be interested in?

Is 10% of the individual's evaluation worth the effort?

Add any other questions/comments you wish.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a complex issue, it is hard to know where to start. To begin, I think some form of a rubric would be needed.

Is 10% worth it? - maybe not, but I wonder if the low percentage reflects fears over abuse or inconsistency. I support peer review fully, but even I am concerned about the potential for problems.

Gary Noah said...

What portion of the evaluation was supose to be peer reviewed?

Can we see the stats from the last survery?

In one spot I marked peer review because I did not realize that the order of the answers had change. When I reread the answers I changed it.

Anonymous said...

Did the surveys indicate what aspects of their evaluation they wanted to be subjected to a peer review? Teaching? Service?

David Kiracofe (really)
Chesapeake

Anonymous said...

Gary,
You are right about the shift in the order on the question regarding percentages. I caught it only AFTER people had responded, so I couldn't make the change without wiping out many responses.

However, there are two places where peers were indicated one in response to the top question: "Who should evaluate each of these activities?" and in the question that immediately follows, " For the purposes of evaluating service to the profession, what weights (percentage) should be given to each of the sources of evaluation information? The total weights or sum of the values must total 100%. If you do not think an item should be included, use zero (0)."

Survey 5 data is available on the Faculty Senate website. It is under the Committee area. (After taking the 6th survey everyone is routed to this summary data.)

The 6th survey closes tonight, and I will make sure the summary data available, but it might not be until next week that I have time to post it.

maureen

Anonymous said...

David,
Survey responses indicate that some aspects of teaching and service should be reviewed by peers.

maureen

Anonymous said...

Somehow we need to get this evaluation activated. Most of our teachers are very hard working, dedicated instructors, but we do have some folks who make the rest of us look bad. I think one of the peer reviews could be committees-- I think I see some of the same names on committees who are getting credit but are never attending.

Anonymous said...

It's my understanding that a college committee has begun to prepare guidelines for the peer review of online courses as required by the VCCS. I am assuming that it will be a very difficult undertaking. I think the peer review of classroom instruction is WAY, WAY DOWN the road if it happens at all. Surveys are fine but institutional realities are another thing.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.